Saturday 12 January 2013

Chapter 26 The Long Road


A/N FSOG is E. L. JAMES creation this is my story!
WARNING this is another dark chapter. It does span several weeks I've put in breaks to show where the weeks are during this time it's more like Ana's diary. I hope you like
Enjoy...

I sit and hold his hand. He has drifted off to sleep, he's battered broken and dirty. I reach over to pull up the blanket, his hand shoots out and grabs my wrist, a look of sheer terror in his eyes. What the fuck did that bastard do to him? He holds on for a minute before acknowledging his surroundings and letting me go. I pull my hand back and rest it in my lap. It's still throbbing. Grace thinks I broke something when I punched the wall, I think I just made that injury worse, oh well I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Christians eyes are closed again, he's not sleeping his body is tensed up, I wish I could relieve it, I though the news of Hyde's death would have done that. I can't get over Mia, I knew she was a bitch but to set up your brother... I suppose they did have videos of her antics with her biological sister *SHUDDER* I hope to he'll Grace and Carrick have a bodyguard for her because right now I want to tear her limb from limb! This drive is taking forever! The paramedics have put drips in his arms and speak in hushed tones to me from time to time. They have confirmed he has several burns on his back and chest that have gotten infected, his leg is broken in two places, he is severely dehydrated and has several puncture marks on his arms but they do not know what he's been injected with. They have made him swallow charcoal to wash out his stomach in case he has been forced to take anything. He is refusing to talk he just stares blankly when his eyes are open and throws me the look of despair while he grips onto my hand as if it's a life raft in the middle of the Atlantic. I feel us stopping. The driver opens the back doors and a team of doctors and nurses rush to get him out. He moves away terrified. I gently squeeze his hand and give him the trust me look. He nods.
"Could you all back off a bit please, he has been traumatised and the last thing he needs is a hoard of people coming at him"
"Its procedure miss ?"
"Miss Steele and if that's your procedure then we will go to another hospital and get Mr Grey the treatment he requires there"
I see Taylor talking to someone and soon there is only one nurse and doctor. I smile at him and he nods before striding off talking into his mobile. We finally make our way inside, poor Christian is floundering like a fish out of water. I keep a hold of his hand and reassure him I push the nurse into taking us straight to his room assuming her money is no object, again Taylor had a quiet word and we are in a lift to the top floor. The room he is put in is huge, it has a large window overlooking wherever we are. I assure him he's safe and Taylor takes up position outside the door. The doctor comes in and takes vials of blood for tests and swabs his burns.
"The results will take twenty-four hours to come back we will start him on broad-spectrum antibiotics until the results are back" He speaks in hushed tones to me.
"He can hear you, you know! You should be talking to him, oh and his mother will be here within the hour she is a doctor and will consulted on everything you are doing."
"Yes Miss Steele." He leaves the room slightly cowed by my harsh words.
For the first time since the rescue we are alone.
"Christian?" I whisper. His head turns and he looks at me. "Can you talk to me?"
He shrugs. It's as if he has no words.
"Do you want anything?" He pulls on my hand.
"You want me?" He nods. I smile at him.
"Is there anything else you need?" He nods.
"What?" He pushes the covers down and points at his manhood. My eyes practically fall out of their sockets, he can't want me to do THAT, here can he?
"Erm... I don't think that's a good idea" he looks confused at me. Oh crap "you need the toilet?" He nods,
"I'll need to get a nurse" he shakes his head violently.
"I can't lift you by myself, I need help. I'll need to touch you too, you know that?" He nods. He takes my other hand and places it on his waist. He grimaces as if it's causing him pain for my my hand to be there.
"Can you wait for your mum?" He shakes his head "how about I get Taylor? You trust him don't you?" He nods as a solitary tear rolls down his face.
"I need to let you go for a minute to get him" his body shakes as I let go. I stay in his eyeline as I open the door. I beckon Taylor inside and notice he's not alone. Sawyer, and two others are there too.
"I need your help" he looks confused. "To take Christian to the bathroom" I explain. The nurse chooses this moment to walk in. Christian lets out an almost primal cry of fear. I run to his side and hold his hand. The nurse follows me over and talks to Christian.
"I need a urine sample when your ready sweetie" she pats his leg and he recoils as if she stabbed him.
"Leave a bowl or something and I'll make sure you get one, just keep your hands off him!" I shoot her a look that says don't mess with me bitch. She shuffles off out of the room. "Taylor I want him assigned a new nurse, one that is more aware of current circumstances." He nods.
"Mr Grey, is it okay if I take your hand?" He nods and holds it out. I grab his waist and he hooks his arm around my neck, leaning heavily on me. We shuffle to the bathroom. Poor Taylor doesn't know where to look when I pull down his boxers and help him to sit. We get him up again and help him back to bed. I press the nurse call button so that she can have her sample. She shuffles in takes her paper bowl and leaves again.
Half an hour later Grace bursts into the room, obviously having been briefed by the doctor and Taylor as she makes no attempt to touch him.
"Hello son. How are you feeling?" He gives her a pained expression. "Okay darling I'll get you some pain relief." I look at her the confusion evident on my face. "He didn't speak for the first six months he was with us, I can read his face like a book Ana" she explains.
"I didn't know... Why didn't he speak?" I look at him as does Grace he gives he a nod.
"He was traumatised as an infant, he found his birth mothers body, she had passed and it was two days before he was discovered, cuddled into her. His default setting for dealing with things is either to shut down entirely or to lash out and almost destroy himself in the process." Tears flow freely down his face, without thinking I lean over and wipe them away with my hand. He doesn't stop me.
"I'll never let anything hurt you again baby. I promise" I stare into his grey eyes and move closer so that he knows what's coming. His breathing becomes slightly erratic but I continue, he needs this as much as I do. I place my lips gently on his, keeping my eyes locked into his. His flutter closed and he presses into me a bit harder. I shut my eyes and enjoy the moment, forgetting entirely that Grace is standing just behind me. I gently pull away, he moans gently in complaint. I open my eyes and smile at him, he gives a small smile back.
"He needs x-rays taken of his body he could have any number of broken bones, and I know that your hand has at least one fracture too Ana" he looks up at me furiously
"I punched a wall... No biggie" he shakes his head. A new nurse comes in.
"I have some pain relief here and a light sedative for you Mr Grey, it just so we can give you a thorough examination without causing anymore pain, it also means you'll be more relaxed for your x-rays" He nods and let's her continue. He zones out on reality and his body goes limp. His eyes drift closed closed and for the first time today he looks peaceful.
"You need to get that hand seen to Ana, I'll stay with him. You can send in Carrick too we won't let anything hurt him." She looks down and takes his hand "my poor baby" she whispers quietly.
I walk out the room Taylor instantly jumps to attention.
"Miss Steele ma'am"
"Its ok I've got to go for an x-ray Graces orders"
"Prescott will go with you ma'am" a tall well built woman steps forward. I don't instantly like her but I suppose that doesn't matter she's not here to be liked she's here for security although I'm pretty sure I don't need someone for that I can do it myself. I don't bother arguing as my hand is throbbing with pain.
I walk through the waiting room and see Carrick he rushes over to me
"How is he Ana?"
"Honestly?" He nods "Pretty fucked up, he can't bare anyone touching him apart from me, they have sedated him to examine him, oh and he won't speak, but Grace has told me that his defence mechanism."
"Oh. Hyde is dead, Maria has a significant brain injury and a broken jaw, they don't think she will regain consciousness."
"I know, or at least I'd guessed as much"
"I need to talk to the three of you, the police are crawling all over this. I need the truth if you want my help." He speaks in hushed tones, I suppose the walls have ears here. I give him a nod.
"You can go see him now I've got to go get my hands x-rayed." He laughs
"Dr Grace, never off duty!" I smile illegible a nod and walk away.
It turns out I've broken three fingers and have a 'nasty' sprained wrist. Christian has three infected burns on his back, lots of welts that will fade from the whipping and the ropes. His left leg will need a surgical plate in it to repair the break and he is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder according to Dr Flynn. Grace got him over the minute she heard he'd been abducted. Fucking Flynn, badgering me about putting on a brave face, wanting me to let my feelings out, what a prick! My feelings came pouring out when I ran into a room and found the love of my life tied to a bed with that fucking letch and his psycho sister, they got what they deserved! Mia has been nowhere near for the last week that we have been stuck here. Today the infection is almost gone and all he needs are the dressings changed once a day. He's not spoken yet but it looks like he's trying a lot harder to come back to me. His eyes seem more alert he moves his head to follow conversations. Flynn believes this is dramatic progress, to me dramatic progress would be him actually speaking, but then I didn't train for years to speak psychobabble to anyone that'll pay for it. We are able to go home, well back to his parents rented house, I did try to fight that I wanted to go back to his house in Glasgow or my flat but he started to scream at the thought. I doubt we will ever go back. I even suggested we stay with my parents but Grace pulled the Dr mother card on me. So now I'm staying in that house with every possibility that SHE will be there too! It almost brings smoke puffing out my ears.

We have been here a week. I spend all day sitting in silence with Christian and all night awake listening to Kate and Elliot shag, my God they have some amount of stamina! I did make the mistake of going and knocking on their door at three in the morning. That was a mistake I'll not make again! Full frontal of Elliot in all his glory, if that wasn't bad enough I checked him out, impressive, not as good as his brother though! And he caught me! I was the colour of a beetroot. Then I saw Kate hovering over the bed in a fucking sex swing, I nearly died! I just ran back to my room to see Christian in a cold sweat silently freaking out. Thank God Mia has pissed off back to the states. Sawyer and Ethan went with her, apparently to make sure she doesn't do anything stupid! Maria died too, no tears will be shed in this house for her, bitch that she was. The police have gone, they accepted that Christian was acting in self defence. No further questions have been asked. Taylor and Carrick have made it disappear. Life goes on it would appear. I just wish Christian would come back to me. I need him.

Three fucking weeks, three fucking weeks! I feel like I'm going insane trying to have conversations with a mute! If this was anyone else and I mean ANYONE ELSE I would be long gone! This is no fucking picnic! I sat and did ALL my course work. I'm finished it all, two months work in three fucking weeks. I'm angry now at the entire universe, Dr Flynn has been making me have chats with him my anger bubbles over every time, Grace is worried I'll have permanent damage in my hand and wrist, I use my left when I'm frustrated so it can get as buggered up as I want it and it won't really matter. Flynn has suggested taking up boxing as I have a good technique, patronising English twat! He sits with Christian for an hour a day, I swear I heard him reply to the inane questions once. I'm banned from the house during his therapy now, I get sent to my mother's or round the shops with Gail or lunch with Kate somewhere. On the plus side it's only three more weeks till the cast comes off his leg.

Ok so four weeks is my official breaking point! I stood beside him and let it all out, all my rage, my sorrow, my regret everything. It was cathartic to say the least! When I finished he actually spoke! The last words I wanted to hear tho, I don't believe any woman wants her man to come back to her just to tell her 'fuck off Ana'. I went upstairs and packed and left. My heart feels like it's been ripped out and crushed by a herd of stampeding wildebeest! I'm alone now. I headed back to my flat. I tore my room apart. It made me physically sick to be there. I took anything that meant something and pack it in the boot of my Micra. I hit the road, I just drove and drove until I ran out of petrol. I found myself three miles from Newcastle near the airport. I don't know what possesed me but I got on a plane with all my worldly possessions and headed for Seattle to get the bitch that ruined my life!

Five weeks post incident and I'm living in a small bedsit in Seattle. I got a job easily enough, at a small publishing company, SIP. Seattle Independent Publishing, I have a short term work visa, I can stay for six months, plenty of time to hunt down Mia Grey. I know she's not at GEH anymore, she's holed up in a flat not too far from mine. I've seen Ethan coming and going. Sawyer is about as discreet as a brick so he's not seen me yet. I've made one friend, Leila from the kids department we get on really well. I've heard in the news that Christian is due back within the next 24 hours. Journalists seem to know everything in this country. I really wanted to see her before any other Grey was in the country, it will make it more awkward if Taylor is about. He won't know where I am I took a plane two states away and drove to Seattle. I've also used a false name it's been easy to hide most things, ok so SIP needed my real name but I did digging and its not connected to the name Grey in any way. I sit back and wait for my moment. I keep my head down at work only talking to Leila at lunch. She's a nice enough girl but she's no Kate. I miss her!
I see on the news Christian is here. His picture is on the internet and every time I see his face another little piece of my heart breaks. It takes all my willpower not to Sprint round to Escala to see him. I know it's not what he wants I need to respect that. I need to get to Mia. I'm off today and this is my chance! I dress carefully and walk purposefully to Mia's front door. I Buzz her and she lets me in. I charge to her door and knock loudly. She opens the door and from her expression I'm obviously not who she expected.
"Hello Mia" I push my way into her flat.
"Ana? What are you doing here? What do you want?" She follows me into her lounge.
"What do I want? Really? You can't guess?"
"Ana, I can explain..." I punch her hard in the face
"That's for what you did to Christian" I spit on her "and that's for ruining my life!" I turn on my heel and go to walk out. I open her front door and I walk straight into him.
"Ana?" The horror on his face is apparent I shove him out the way and run.
"ANA!" I spin round and look at him, just to be sure before I turn away and run to my flat. I slam my door and slide down the back, sobbing loudly as I do.
I feel my world crumbling all around me.

Hope you liked! I'm trying to bring the story back round to the light but for now they are apart...
Leave a review please
CarrieJ x

No comments:

Post a Comment