Saturday 12 January 2013

Chapter 18 Homeward Bound


A/N: All characters belong to E. L. James
Sorry it's taken so long to update but I've had poorly children x Thank you for all the lovely reviews and just a wee shoutout to Louisvuittonfreak they know why x
Enjoy...

I only make it a few paces along the hall before Grace catches up with me
"Ana! Wait!" I don't turn around I can't bear for her to see me, my heartbreak is etched upon my face.
"Just leave me alone Grace! He doesn't know me, he thought I was his fucking nurse!" I sob. She grabs my arm and spins me into her embrace.
"Ana, give him time, he's just come out of surgery. He needs you, honey." She soothes me cuddling me into her chest and stroking my hair. She leads me back to her family
"Carrick, I think Ana needs a rest, we should all go back to Bellevue, they're not going to let us see Christian again until tomorrow." She says still holding me. I look up at the Grey family and one by one they filter out the door until only Mia remains.
"You can go home if you want. I'm staying with Christian, he needs us!" She says, eyeing me like the enemy.
"Mia, I don't know what your problem with me is and quite frankly I don't give a shit, but don't for one second imply that I don't care about your brother!" I say sharply
"Well Ana, it seems like you don't!" She says. I break free from Grace and stride towards Mia, I slap her hard across the face."You gold digging bitch!" She screams at me. "He doesn't remember you and I hope he never does! You are only interested in his bank balance!"
"Mia! That is quite enough! Now I don't know why you dislike Ana so much, but grow up and act like the civil human being I raised because quite frankly, I'm ashamed of you right now!" Grace scolded her daughter. "All Ana has done is find him and get him help you should be grateful to this young woman, not be critical of her motives!"
Mia hangs her head cowed by her mother.
"I'm sorry for hitting you Mia, but no one talks about me like that, and for your information I'd never heard of your brothers company or his money, and quite frankly if he lived on the street I'd still love him. It's a shame you have judged me before meeting me I think we could have gotten along." I say before turning away and heading back out the room.
"Sorry Ana" She whispers as I walk away. I turn, make eye contact, and nod in acknowledgment. Then I turn back and follow Carrick to the car.
The night passes in a blur. I'm so tired. Grace ensures I'm fed and watered before getting Kate to take me to bed. I find myself in a plain bedroom, not really in keeping with the house. It has stark white walls with a few posters on them. It also has a large bed with white plump pillows and plush covers that feel so soft. Kate helps me with my clothes and brushes out my hair for me, I put on a simple nightdress and slide under the covers. Kate leans over and gives me a kiss, she tucks me in and switches off the light. I fall asleep instantly.
When I awaken in the morning I feel refreshed and brighter. I see someone has been in while I was asleep as there are clean clothes draped over the back of a white wicker chair in the corner for me. I dress quickly, there are petal pink silk pants and matching bra, a pair of lace topped stockings, I groan when I see them I hate stockings they always end up rumpled round my ankles, surely with all the women in this house there must be a pair of tights! I slide them up my legs and surprisingly they stay put, at least for now! I pick up the next garment, it's a white layered floaty skirt, groan, I don't like showing my legs! The top at least I can live with it's a pale pink vest top with small crystals on it and a white crocheted cardigan. I look okay, I suppose! I have a little poke around the bedroom, it definitely is not used often but all the stuff in the drawers point to it belonging to one person, Christian! I make my way out of the room and into the hall. This place is massive! I find my way down to a lobby and then follow my ears, it sounds like everyone is up. I open a door and find myself in the lounge, there is an adjoining set of double doors that leads into a huge kitchen, and there around a huge table are the Grey family. Elliot sitting with Kate at one side and his Mum on the other, his Dad is beside her, I spy an empty chair beside Kate and move into it. I'm greeted warmly.
"Nice outfit Steele!" Kate says
"Yeah thanks for it Kate"
"I didn't get you any clothes!" She replies I look at Grace who shakes her head, just then Mia bursts in.
"I see you got the clothes I left you" She says. I blush. Mia picked me an outfit? "It's my way of saying sorry Ana. I have been a bitch to you and you've really done nothing to deserve it, its Christian I'm mad at because he wouldn't tell me about you. I saw the press pictures and you both looked so happy..." she tails off. OMG Shes been a bitch because she's jealous!
"Thanks for the clothes Mia it was a lovely gesture." I say politely. " I thought you were staying at the hospital?" I ask.
"They kicked me out, they said what mum said and sent me home." she explained
"So when are we going back to the hospital?" I ask
"As soon as we've eaten." I smile at that. I can't wait to see him again, I hope he recognises me this time. I think I'll struggle if he doesn't. I finish the plate of pancakes quickly and ready myself for the trip. In the car I sit between Kate and Mia. Kate holds my hand supportively talking animatedly to Mia, it seems they have really hit it off! I stay quiet and zone out, only coming back to reality when Mia elbows me to move out the open car door.
"Earth to Ana? Come in Ana? We're here!" Kate shouts as she pulls my hand. I jump out the car. Taylor is standing at the hospital door,
"Nice to see you Miss Steele" he says. I shoot him daggers, how dare he? He knew the whole time, he could have helped! He could have told me what the fuck was going on!
"I wish I could say the same" I spit as I walk past. He reaches to grab my arm. "Don't fucking touch me Taylor! I'm not some little plaything that you could use for your bosses entertainment! I'm a fucking person with feelings and you, you put me in a dangerous position, you knew what he was going through, and you led me there like a lamb to the fucking slaughter! Tell me something, was he there before I arrived or did you go and get him so he could stalk me in his deranged state?" I accuse.
"I'm sorry ma'am" He says quietly
"Don't talk to me unless you have something meaningful to say" I turn and walk away.
"What the hell was all that about with Christians bodyguard?" Kate asks
"Don't ask!" I reply. She knows from the tone in my voice not to argue. We all gather in the same waiting room as last night. Mia and Grace go through first. I'm going in with Carrick next. We are allowed to stay longer today as he is doing well. Grace walks in first and she is positively glowing, followed by Mia who looks and smiles in my direction. I hope this visit goes better than yesterday. Kate gives me a pat on the back as I stand. I take Carrick's hand and walk towards Christians room. I hesitate outside the door and pull my hand from Carrick.
"You go in first" I say shakily. His dad pushes the door open and I catch a glimpse of him lying there. He catches a glimpse of me too, I feel the air between us crackle with the electricity.
"Anastasia?" He says. I nearly faint, I find myself propelled forward pulled by the electric charge that connects us. "Oh Ana! I thought you were a dream!" He says staring into my eyes. I rush to his side
"You remember me?"
"Yes, not everything but I remember your face and your name." He remembers me!
"Oh god Christian you had me so worried"
"What happened to me Ana? Were you there?" I look at Carrick he shakes his head
"Christian I don't think I should be answering these questions, I think you need to remember" I state
"Dad? Where's Maria?" With that question my stomach drops to the floor. I feel the familiar tug of heartbreak all over again.
"I'd better go" I cant wait to leave, I need some air, he remembers my face but not me and not us.
"Ana wait!" He calls. I look at him holding back the tears, I feel the dam break as they start to trickle down my face.
"What?"
"Don't go, I don't want you to leave"
"I can't stay, you don't know me"
"Tell me how I know you? Tell me why I feel like my heart will break if you walk out the door, explain to me why I feel so strongly for you, talk to me, I know you know me. I need to know that if you walk out of that door that you will come back and not run off back to Glasgow"
"I wont! I cant answer everything else, you need time to heal, but it's obviously coming back to you."
"No Ana it's not, all I know is in my dreams your face is always there."
"You know more than you think! How do you know where I live?"
"I don't"
"Yes you do, you just told me not to run back home to"
"Glasgow" He finishes for me. "Elliot is there at some uni. Maria has something to do with this I cant remember what though"
"I will come back. Have some time with your dad. I'll see you later" I leave the room feeling elated that he remembered my face but utterly dejected that he didnt remember me.
The next weeks follow the same pattern, although now Mia's being slightly less cold towards me, but I still know she has an issue! At least Kate is now the one picking out my clothes, thank god for that! Christian is slowly remembering more and more. Just random things about me though. He remembers Maria in perfect detail, right down to what outfit she wore last time he saw her. I know I shouldn't be jealous but my boyfriend remembers every intricate detail of a woman who died nearly a year ago but nothing significant about me. It's hard to see him struggle with his memories all jumbled up. He knows he was in hospital and remembers John Flynn and the feelings of despair, its like he has a huge jigsaw puzzle in his head and all the pieces are in the wrong place, he's just starting to slot them together but there is a huge gaping hole in the middle and he can't seem to get the pieces to fit. I sit with him as often as I'm allowed as he seems to make the most progress with me in the room. It's really hard for me to listen to as he talks about his life, but I feel like this is his way of letting me in, his subconscious knows who I am and that he needs me, unfortunately his conscious still hangs onto Maria.
Today is a good day, Christian is going home! He's refused to go to Bellevue, not that I can blame him he doesn't take kindly to mothering! He has his own place, some apartment in the city. He wants me to be there when he comes home. Elliot and Kate offer to take me over. We pull up outside an impressive building. It's all glass and its stunning. Elliot puts in a code to the underground garage and parks in a bay. We all get out of the car and Elliot leads us to a lift. It's extremely large and we all fit in easily. There is a keypad beside the door, Elliot steps forward and instead of pressing a floor number he has opened a little box underneath and punched in another code?! Wow this place is like fort knocks! The lift ascends to the very top of the building and opens into a large white entrance hall. I'm stunned by the scale of this place!
"Yo bro? You here?" Elliot shouts.
"Yeah I'm in here" his muffled voice comes from behind a door. We move though it and are in a large open plan room it has floor to ceiling windows, it is stunning!
"Close your mouth Ana and stop gawping" Kate whispers at me. I snap my jaw shut but can't help staring at my unfamiliar surroundings. This place is massive it looks like a show home. Beautiful art hangs from the walls, the furniture is sparse but what there is looks like it cost as much as I could earn in a year! I suppose this would be classed as minimalistic? It looks empty and unlived in. I find it a tad creepy.
"Hey Ana good to see you. Hiya Kate how are you? Nice to see you Elliot and bringing two lovely women with you too!" His voice echoes in the space, it reverberates around me. Christian looks so small and vulnerable on the huge couch. I move to sit near him, he looks disappointed that I didn't sit beside him but tries to cover it. Elliot plops down next to him with Kate practically on his knee, I swear these two are at it like rabbits! Their room is next to mine at Bellevue and well I don't think they sleep much! All times of the night I get woken by Kate's screams of ecstasy it's not exactly how I prefer to spend my nights, its gotten to the point that Mia told them over breakfast this morning to stop the 3am session or to go back to Elliot's place. I could have kissed her! But I don't think that would have been appreciated somehow!
"How are you feeling Christian? Should you not be in bed resting?" I ask
"Yeah but I wanted to see you first" he says.
"Right, bed now Mr Grey!" I say standing "Elliot can you help get Christian to his room please?" He stands too and helps his brother up. They stagger towards a door and when I see where they are going I jump in front of them and open the door. I move into another huge room with the biggest bed ive ever seen in it! I pull down the covers and plump up the pillows. "In you get, you need your rest"
"You are as bad as my mom!" he teases as he slides onto the bed. I pull the covers over him and tuck him in.
"Would you like anything to eat or drink?" I offer
"No thanks Ana, Mrs Jones has already prepared lunch for us and will be serving it shortly." I feel my guts churning at the mention of her name. The last time I saw her was before... that night. I feel sick. "Taylor!" He shouts. I feel my legs giving out under me
"Where is the loo?" I ask trying to escape before he arrives.
"Through that door" He says pointing to a door off his bedroom, I step into a large room but barely take it in. I rush to the toilet, not bothering to close the door, just in time to see my breakfast make a reappearance, I feel awful! Kate comes in behind me and holds my hair back while I continue to wretch. When I'm done, she sits me on a chair that Elliot has brought in from the bedroom and cleans me up. She washes my face and gets a cool flannel and presses it to my head. I hear Taylor leave the room.
"Ana? Are you feeling okay?"
"No, my head is swimming and I still feel sick, and really hot, it's so hot in here. I need air" I say.
"Right let's get you outside for a minute." We move back int Christians room, where he is now sitting on the edge of the bed wearing his concern plainly on his face for me.
"Ana? Do you want me to come outside with you, the door is just here to the balcony." He offers
"That would be nice" I say quietly. Kate and Elliot go back through to the, I suppose you could call it, living room? Looking happy to have more snogging time! I swear those two breathe as one!
He takes me out onto the balcony, the views are stunning! I sit on one of the chairs Christian sits on the one next to me.
"Do you want to tell me what that was all about? Or are you ill?"
"Christian, your staff remind me of a bad time and I'm sorry for my reaction but..."
"They remind you of the night I tried to attack you. That's what you mean isn't it?"
"You remember?" I look at him confused. "How much do you remember? Everything or just that night?"
"I remember quite a lot now Ana, more than you know. I know Maria is dead. I think ive dealt with that too because when I remembered I felt okay, It made sense to me. It's like the dots started connecting in my head. The hospital, the trip to Scotland, everything fit all of a sudden it was like a light switch had flicked on in my head. Ana I remember you, the strongest of all, I remember loving you Ana!" I am absolutely shocked by this man! He remembers that night?
"Christian, I need to know, What was Taylor's involvement? Did you or he put me in danger?"
"Ana I was in a really bad place. I have only vague memories, I know you have issues with Taylor but Ana you have to drop this till I remember it's obviously not doing you any good and it's not helping me either seeing you distressed like this!"
"I'm sorry but I do remember and it happened to me! Sorry for wanting answers!"
"You want answers? YOU want answers? I want fucking answers Ana! I don't know what happened and Taylor is saying nothing!"
"Where is he? I'll find out what the hell happened!" I storm back inside, I can hear Kate and Elliot at it somewhere but at least they are out of view! "TAYLOR! JASON TAYLOR I WANT TO TALK TO YOU!" I scream loud enough that even Kate and Elliot stop what they are doing. Taylor comes striding into the room.
"Ma'am" He says bowing his head.
"I need to know everything Taylor and as Christian can't remember I need you to help me understand." I say politely but firmly.
"Yes Miss Steele. Where would you like me to begin?"
"Did you bring Christian back here to Seattle?"
"No, but I was aware of his intentions, he assigned me to guard you Miss Steele and I have followed you ever since."
"You've been what?" I'm flabbergasted! How dare he, how dare Christian!
"I was following orders ma'am. I also assigned one of the detail to discretely follow Mr Grey in Scotland and then had Sawyer follow him after he got off the plane. We have been in permanent contact."
"Was Christian at that house when I arrived or did he come after me?"
"He saw you on the news. He went straight to the garden looking for you. Sawyer spoke to him when he arrived he was agitated but wanted to see you. He did follow him but he eluded him and hid in the bushes. Then we arrived and you were so sure you could help and we were there if you needed us. When you found that rose... we panicked and tried to get you inside but you ran back out, we knew he was unstable but not quite how bad it was. Then you came back with his message about calling Flynn we knew he wanted you safe so we put you in the safe room especially when we saw what he had done to the garden! He came in and tore up the house looking for you, we managed to deflect him away from your direction but he got outside again and we lost him, but not before he told me to tell you nothing, and take you away."
"You knew I wouldn't leave though" the realisation is dawning on me, Taylor was there to protect me, I was the stupid one I'd put myself in danger and walked into a dangerous situation and taken no one with me. How stupid am I?
"Ma'am, you were doing what you thought was best. You did save his life" He says
"Ana, oh my god Ana! I'm so sorry, how fucking awful am I?" I spin on my heel to see Christian staring grimly at me. I rush into his arms. I suddenly feel ok to let out all the emotions id been holding back. I cry onto his chest. He wraps his arms around me and strokes my hair. He leads me back to his room and we lie on his bed together. I find my mouth drawn up to his. The kiss releases us from the tension of the last couple of weeks. I feel my desire building as he pulls me into him on the bed.
"Christian can we just cuddle?" I ask as I don't think he should be straining himself physically so soon after his op.
"Yes baby" He strokes my hair and back. I fall asleep in my loving boyfriend's arms and dream of the better days to come.

Hope you liked it! I will try to update soon x
CarrieJ x

No comments:

Post a Comment